Monday, September 16, 2013

Precision timing still required

Our plans did not exactly work out today.....we had to stop by the bank in Geneva to see if they were successful in ordering foreign currency for me. The person I was dealing with had never done anything like that before and had phoned their head office for help yesterday.  I was supposed to stop by at 12 in theory to collect the Pound Sterling.

While we were waiting, we were so lucky that I had one of Mom's closest friend's phone number
memorized and she was home!
Me with Lou and Cornelia
 
 Alan and Lou have spent many an afternoon driving around the area taking pictures, so she was the perfect person to join us on what might be our farewell tour of Geneva.  We had a terrific morning, driving by all the places Alan has photographed for the past (almost) 30 years.  Unfortunately, I was the driver and, consequently, have NO pictures of my own.  We thought we would have time for a leisurely stroll down memory lane, but this was not meant to be.   However, it was a great tour - ending with lunch at the River Junction Restaurant .
What a sweet place!  The ladies who run this restaurant are either in their late 80's or early 90's.  What a way to spend retirement!  And the food is basic Southern cooking as if you were eating at your own grandmother's house.  Very impressive!






 
                                                                              Fried fish, fried cornbread, coleslaw and potato salad
 
 

Returning to the bank an hour after arranged, the woman in charge of getting the foreign currency told me that head office never called her back!  This bank used to be locally run, which I totally loved about it.   As my first real transaction with the new organisation, I must say I am less than impressed.  First, why the head office never phoned her back, second, why she never followed up and third, although not a terrific amount of money would have been processed, it was still loss of business through inaction, and who can afford that nowadays?

Now running an hour behind schedule, we had saved the best for last - my mother's house......ok, she sold it in 2007, but she and my stepfather built it and lived there for 37 years, so it will always be a family landmark.  Lou encouraged us to drive up the quarter mile drive and honk the horn to see if anyone was home.  I hate honking horns and was working up the courage to do this when the new owner came out to see us.  I had met her when she viewed the house so I didn't feel as weird about this situation as I might have.  And she very graciously offered us a tour of her home!   Remember I already said I drove up the driveway I have used for almost 40 years, so when I say the second she opened the door we always used, I had no idea where I was - that is how different the house looks!


Please don't get the idea that she ripped out any semblance of what was there, she was respectful of the heritage and kept special things, but repurposed them in a modern way.  She also opened the windows and let the light in.  Mom and Bob had covered them in frosted plastic and even put bars over them in later years.  I believe they intended to conserve electricity and prevent crime, but the effect was depressing.  Especially once we saw how beautiful the windows are and the way they compliment each other across the room.  Alan was able to take as many photos as he liked but I feel it would be an invasion of her privacy to publish them.  I have decided to only share the shot of the outside views.....
My room was the one with the larger window (it was enlarged by new owner)
Ginko tree at right bottom corner
 
The new owner was delighted to fill in some of her gaps in understanding the history of the house, including where the Ginko tree came from - Mom got it from her mother's house in Illinois. 

Now running two hours late, we dropped Lou off at her home and, even though she had invited us in for some cake, we had to put the pedal to the medal to get to Tallahassee for our next event!

As we parked at the Hampton Inn, one of my nephews and his wife were waiting for us. Thank goodness for wifi at McDonald's - otherwise they would have been waiting for 2 hours!
Bobby had suggested this hotel because it is close to where all of this part of our family lives.




And it worked out perfectly.



Absolutely everyone dropped by, some of the little kids even got to swim, so they didn't get too bored.




We were able to have what felt like a family visit in a living room like environment, and they even got to see the photos Alan took of Mom's house!

Does it get any better than this?  Well, yes.....the next morning, I got dressed, walked across the parking lot and met one of my sorority sisters for breakfast!  We spent 2 hours catching up on almost 40 years.

 Isn't it amazing when friends meet?  It does not matter how long ago they last saw each other, it only felt like yesterday!

 What a welcome to the Florida part of this journey!

"A house is made of walls and beams;
a home is made of love and dreams."
Amish Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment