Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Counting Down

I suppose the obvious mistake with yesterday's blog indicates we were almost on the way home!

When Alan and I planned this trip, yes, there was work to be done and appointments to attend, but we intended to have a "proper" beach break.  Meaning doing nothing.  Alan and I have never been good at doing nothing and this was our big chance.  

If you have been reading this blog, you will realize we failed miserably at doing nothing! 

Thursday was our one last chance to behave in Florida the way we intended, and we accomplished it!

We got up and walked the pier as we had  hoped to do every morning. Actually, this goal was the one we were able to manage quite easily.  We didn't miss many mornings.  For the price of a cup of coffee there is such a variety of things to see, we could really spend hours there.

It is not always light entertainment though.  On our last morning there, I finally saw a sea turtle - first one for me this year!  I know we were told one swam right by us when we were in the water, and Alan had seen some this year, but this was my first sighting.  And right after the first glimpse of him, he got hooked by a fisherman.  The fisherman looked as upset as the poor turtle too.  He tried and tried to free him, even walking to the pier manager for advice what to do. And the answer was not what any of us hoped - he was advised to just cut his line.  He did his best to draw in as much as he could but the fishhook was stuck in the turtle's mouth and the line will follow him for the rest of his life.  Poor thing. (This is Alan's picture and look closely, you will see the fishing line.)


I quite often go to the beach and leave Alan on the pier - just because I really miss this particular beach.  I spent many, many hours here - long before they built the Boardwalk and all the shops and restaurants.  It is called the Boardwalk now, but we just called it Wayside Beach.
The sand feels wonderful between the toes and the water at this time of year is the exact temperature I will swim in.  Most often the water is just too cold for me!  But once I leave the pier, Alan usually gets great views of something I miss!  Worth it though!

The original plan was beach/pier, pool, beach/pier.  Today was the only day we even got close to this!  Lunch back at Steamboat, then lying at the pool there until it got time to go back to the pier. 

This evening visit was the worst I had ever seen at the beach.  The water was not clear at all, it was red and you couldn't see anything in it.  Ok, did I not describe the beauty of the water on the Miracle Strip?  It is absolutely clear, so much that I can usually see my feet if I am in water over my head.  (not that I do that anymore since I have seen too many sharks at the end of the pier!).  But tonight - not clear at all. And the sad thing was the place appeared to be loaded with dolphins, including a baby. 

Dinner at Nauti Girls as described already.....and packing to make sure everything fit in the suitcase and checking to see if there was room for any additional shopping - we still had one more day!

Friday - It was a painless check out at Steamboat, all packed and ready to go!  Then Alan and I did something we never, ever did - we sat still.  I have no idea why.  The office is in the same building with the indoor pool and tables beside, plus wifi.  I guess you would call it the clubhouse.  Here Alan and I sat, for absolutely no reason, for at least 20 minutes.  Just sitting and checking emails but not really,  honestly, just sitting. 

Then I looked up as a man that looked sort of familiar walked in, and lo and behold, it was one of my high school friends!  We had hoped to see him while we were over, but he never responded to my messages.  This was not like him and I was worried, but had no other way to contact him except through facebook.....he does have health problems and the last time he didn't respond it was his health....so to see him walk in was absolutely fabulous!  How strange that Alan and I just sat there waiting for John to walk in! 

After having such a great, relaxed visit with John, we were able to go to Walmart for a few last minute purchases before checking into our hotel.  We did this so we wouldn't have to rush out of Steamboat at 7am to check in to our flight.  And I like the fact we were able to have such a nice last day, and another afternoon at a pool! 




And what else would we do on a Friday night but go to another high school football game!  This time it was Choctawhatchee vs Gulf Breeze (too bad it was the same opposing team as last week though). 
Alan had a better idea of how the whole deal operates and what he wanted to photograph!  It was another fantastic night of pure American entertainment and my only complaint was the next Friday was my high school (Niceville) vs Choctawhatchee, when Niceville trounced Choctaw 56 - 3!

The Choctaw Indians were our closest high school and made them Niceville's biggest rivals, so I must admit it felt very odd to sit on the home side of the football stadium and watch them do "the chop".
But it felt strangely familiar and it was not until I got home and someone posted a you tube video of my university football stadium crowd doing the same chop - Florida State University is the Seminoles so of course, this is done there too.  A bit bigger though!  FSU Seminole Chop

Ending our trip on a high, it was back to Scotland where the weather had gone to almost Winter.  But it is great to be back, honest!











 
The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.




No comments:

Post a Comment